From the HR Support Center: What Steps Should We Take If an Employee Gets Hurt on the Job?

From the HR Support Center: What Steps Should We Take If an Employee Gets Hurt on the Job?

First, make certain that the employee receives any immediate medical care they need. Their health and safety should be the initial priority.

Once you’ve done that, then you can turn your attention to recording and reporting the injury. It is important to allow your employee to complete a workers’ compensation claim form, which can be obtained from your insurance provider. Most workers’ compensation policies require notice of an injury to be reported within 24 hours of the incident. If your organization is subject to OSHA’s recordkeeping requirements, then the injury should be recorded within seven days on the OSHA 300 Log and 301 Incident Report.

If the injury prevents the employee from working altogether or doing the essential functions of the job, you may need to determine whether other laws—such as the Family and Medical Leave Act or the Americans with Disabilities Act—come into play.

After the emergency response and reporting steps have been initiated, you can begin an investigation process to determine the cause of the incident and identify any corrective actions that would reduce the likelihood of future incidents.

The HR Support Center is a service offered to Payroll Partners clients, and provides access to exclusive, industry-leading HR tools and resources, for just a few dollars a month. From employee handbooks, job descriptions and other commonly used HR documents, to up-to-the-minute law alerts, easy-to-understand state and federal law libraries, and unique training videos, the HR Support Center will help you effectively manage your HR compliance and employee relations needs.

Legal Disclaimer: Payroll Partners and/or the HR Support Center are not engaged in the practice of law. The content in this email should not be construed as legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you have legal questions concerning your situation or the information you have obtained, you should consult with a licensed attorney. Payroll Partners and/or the HR Support Center cannot be held legally accountable for actions related to this article.