Are we required to update a Form I-9 when the documentation used expires?

Are we required to update a Form I-9 when the documentation used expires?

You would only update a Form I-9 if the expired document pertains to a limited period of employment authorization. You should never reverify U.S. citizens and, in most cases, lawful permanent residents (Green Card holders). However, if a lawful permanent resident presents their employer with temporary evidence of lawful permanent resident status for Section 2 (instead of an unexpired permanent resident card), then reverification may be necessary.

We recommend that you set up a tracking system for the I-9s that will require reverification. Consider setting a calendar reminder for 90 days before the expiration of the document or the expiration date listed by the employee in Section 1 of the I-9, whichever is sooner. Then provide the employee written notice of the need to reverify, the deadline to do so, and the I-9 list of acceptable documents they may use for reference.

Once the employee has presented acceptable documents, you should review and complete the reverification section of the Form I-9 (Supplement B of the Form I-9 version dated 8/1/23).

If the Form I-9 version that the employee originally completed is no longer valid, complete Supplement B of the Form I-9 version dated 8/1/23 to reverify the employee. To do this, an employer should:

  • Enter the employee’s name at the top of each Supplement B page you use (and use the New Name field to record any name change the employee reports at the time of reverification or rehire);
  • Use a new section of Supplement B for each instance of a reverification or rehire;
  • Use the Additional Information fields if the employee’s documentation presented for reverification requires future updates; and
  • Sign and date that section when completed and attach it to the employee’s completed Form I-9.

Original content by the Mineral Platform. This information is provided with the understanding that Payroll Partners is not rendering legal, human resources, or other professional advice or service. Professional advice on specific issues should be sought from a lawyer, HR consultant or other professional.