Sample Housing Allowance for Pastors

Sample Housing Allowance for Pastors

Ready-to-use resolution language for church board to set a clergy housing allowance in 2019 by Richard R. Hammar.

Editor’s Note: A resolution can only be applied prospectively, never retroactively. For a church to have a resolution in place for a specific calendar year, it needs to adopt the resolution by December 31 of the previous year. A resolution can be adopted after the start of a new calendar year, but it only applies from the date of the adoption and going forward.


Church boards can use the language below to create a resolution for a pastor who owns or rents a home:

The following resolution was duly adopted by the board of directors of [Name of Church] at a regularly scheduled meeting held on [Day/Month/Year], a quorum being present:

Whereas, ministers who own or rent their home do not pay federal income taxes on the amount of their compensation that their employing church designates in advance as a housing allowance, to the extent that the allowance represents compensation for ministerial services, is used to pay housing expenses, and does not exceed the fair rental value of the home (furnished, plus utilities); and

Whereas, Pastor [First/Last Name] is compensated by [Name of Church] exclusively for services as a minister of the gospel; and

Whereas, [Church Name] does not provide Pastor [First/Last Name] with a parsonage; therefore, it is hereby

Resolved, that the total compensation paid to Pastor [First/Last Name] for calendar year 20__ shall be [Pastor’s Compenstation $00,000,] of which [Amount $00,000] is hereby designated as a housing allowance; and it is further

Resolved, that the designation of [Amount $00,000] as a housing allowance shall apply to calendar year 20__ and all future years unless otherwise provided.


This content is designed to provide accurate and authoritative information in regard to the subject matter covered. It is sold with the understanding that the publisher is not engaged in rendering legal, accounting, or other professional service. If legal advice or other expert assistance is required, the services of a competent professional person should be sought. “From a Declaration of Principles jointly adopted by a Committee of the American Bar Association and a Committee of Publishers and Associations.”

Due to the nature of the U.S. legal system, laws and regulations constantly change. The editors encourage readers to carefully search Church Law & Tax for all content related to the topic of interest and consult qualified local counsel to verify the status of specific statutes, laws, regulations, and precedential court holdings.

This article was taken from Church Law & Tax July 2019 post with the same title.

Legal Disclaimer: Payroll Partners is not engaged in the practice of law. The content in this email should not be construed as legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you have legal questions concerning your situation or the information you have obtained, you should consult with a licensed attorney. Payroll Partners cannot be held legally accountable for actions related to this article.